Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
derrickmxpx

I have a 1988, 60hp 3cyl Johnson and need to wire a trim gauge.  The motor has a sender and has 3 wires (white, black, green) coming out of it and running up into the motor.  The trim gauge has a 4 lugs for hook up ( labeled; light, I, S, grd).  I know the wires need to hook up to the ignition but cant find a diagram.  If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Quote 0 0
derrickmxpx

After looking on the Internet, I found a few diagrams that all show 2 wires out of the sender unit.  My sender has 3 wires.  Any help would be nice!!

Quote 0 0
marinermikes
The green wire is just a ground. The one marked light is just that. It can be hooked to your running lights or to the accesoreis wire. If you hook to the acces wire the lights will be on when ever the motor is running.
  The other to wires are the hot wire to the sending unit and the return voltage from the sending unit. I think the black one is to and the white one is the return. You want to hook the power for it to the purple acc. wire. Hope this helps.   Mike
Quote 0 0
derrickmxpx

I’m not sure I follow; there are no wires between my dash and the motor.  How does the connection to the ignition come into play?  I know how to get the light to work.

I am assuming the green wire from the sender gets grounded at the motor.  All of the diagrams I can find show only a brown and white wire going from the sender.  My sender has a black as well.

I have a rough sketch; could you show how to connect to the gauge and include the ignition?

Thanks!!

Click image for larger version - Name: trim_gauge_sketch.jpg, Views: 62, Size: 18.99 KB
Quote 0 0
marinermikes

The wires from the sender are in your tilt/trim harness. Since the wires at the sending unit are cut off you will need to go to the tilt/trim relay box and wire them back in.  As far as how the hook up the gage to power it all depends on your control. Some controls have a plug on them for the hot wire when the key is on.

Quote 0 0
derrickmxpx

Thanks, I will try to look at it this weekend.  It has been over 100 here in north Florida for the past 6 days, so I am in no big hurry to get it finished!!

Quote 0 0