Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
bigman

1998 35hp Evinrude 2-stroke E35QLEC

This has been going on for two seasons and it always happens the same exact way: The engine starts fine. It runs great at all speeds for as long as I want it to. Then, I anchor for a while (about an hour), restart the engine, and it lacks power. It will often die at idle and won’t get up to speed at other throttle settings. Sounds like it’s missing or not running on all 3 cylinders. But, when it dies it ALWAYS restarts right away. I can always limp back in to the dock. Tomorrow, it will be fine again (until I stop for about an hour).

I have replaced plugs, replaced fuel filter, cleaned filter screens, replaced gas line and bulb (from tank to engine). Thanks for any help. This is so strange.

Quote 0 0
vsp1606
Bigman, I am glad I am not alone...Mine is doing the same thing.  Mine is an OB 90HP 2 cycle from 2003.  It starts fine, runs strong.  I stop for a while to fish then restart.  It starts fine, but the idle is a bit rough.  When I toss it into gear, it dies immediately.  I restart, let it idle for 4 minutes, then it runs strong again.  Its worse if I raise the engine out of the water...Did you figure it out?
Sean
Quote 0 0
bigman

Hi Sean. No, I haven't. I got a reply on another message board. Someone said it could be the power pack that's overheating. Doesn't seem right, though. After anchoring for an hour the engine should be cool again. I've just posted to a new message board and I'll let you know if I get anything. You do the same for me. I hate this engine. I've had nothing but problems with it. The oil injection went out after 2 years. After another 2 years the lower unit had to be rebuilt (Big $$). I didn't hit anything- my prop doesn't have a nick in it, and, there was no water in the lower unit. I think 1998 was a bad year because Evinrude was in trouble and being bought out. So, maybe the employees didn't give a ats rass. I don't know. Good luck. Geoff

Quote 0 0
vsp1606
When I lower the engine I can small gas.  I can only assume its a carb problem...I am going to bite the bullet and drop it off at the local marina in a week or so.  As soon as I get an answer, I will let you know.  Thanks for the reply.  Good luck brother!!!!
Sean
Quote 0 0
bigman

I never smell gas, so, we may have different problems. But, I'll look forward to what your marina says. Thanks, Geoff

Quote 0 0
bigman
Sean: Go here and take a look...

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?p=293506&posted=1#post293506

Quote 0 0
vsp1606
Geoff: Thanks a lot, it seems that everywhere we turn, we get another answer.  I appreciate you forwarding that one to me.  I might jump to a 4 stroke myself on day.  This is killing me.   Thanks again!
Sean
Quote 0 0
bigman

Sean: Have you heard anything from your marina? Thanks, Geoff

Quote 0 0
vsp1606
No, I have not.  I haven't been out on the water since, I have been delaying the obvious.  I just spent 5000.00 on a new AC unit, so I am delaying the big fix until September, when it gets cold and I take it out of the water. 

You?
Sean
Quote 0 0
bigman

No, I'm doing the same as you. I'll limp through the problem until I take the boat out in the fall and then I'll decide whether to take it in for servicing or to just replace the motor. Once I have the boat out of the water I'll take a good look at the engine one last time to see if I missed anything.

Quote 0 0
vsp1606
My friend told me to check the fuel filter, maybe running the boat is stirring something up and is causing the sputtering problem after its warmed up...he also said check the fuel line for small holes. ??
Sean
Quote 0 0
marinermikes

Make sure that the orings in the hose conections are ok.  If they suck air it could cause this.

Quote 0 0
vsp1606
Thanks.  I have a 2 cycle Johnson...I cannot find my fuel filter.  I traced the fuel line the best I could. I did find a place where the fuel line was spliced together with clamps...where something "inline" would go...your thoughts?
Sean
Quote 0 0
bigman

I replaced my fuel filter early on as part of my attempt at problem resolution. No help. I also replaced the fuel line, including the bulb, going from the tank to the engine (it was getting pretty ratty). BTW, to get at my inline filter I need to remove the side cowlings (or a least separate them a bit) because it's tucked pretty low inside the engine compartment. Just another wonderful thing about my Evinrude...Not!!!

Quote 0 0
vsp1606
Thanks bigman...I will try it out.
Sean
Quote 0 0