Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
dwong
Hi,

I am having problems starting my E-TEC 150 when it is cold. It usually takes about 5 - 10 minutes of trying to start before it starts. I had a battery problem before, but installed a new battery and still having the same problem. When I try to start it at home, it starts without a problem. But at the lake, it's another story. I prime the gas bulb before starting. Is there something wrong or is it just the way it is? I am a new boat owner. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Darrin
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I would try cycling key off and on before cranking and verify engine is cranking fast enough for starting.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
dwong

How would cycling the key verify the engine is cranking fast enough? Could it be a starter issue?

Quote 0 0
kevimchale
I think his suggestion of cycling the key on and off is to remove any air from the fuel lines.  The fuel pump runs awhile every time you turn on the key and the excess fuel is returned to the tank.  Turn the key to the run position ( not start ) wait 5 to 10 seconds and repeat 3 times.

The try to start it observing if it is spinning rather briskly instead of fairly slow.
Quote 0 0
dwong

Thanks for the suggestion. Someone told me I should be able to crank the motor for up to 30 seconds. I get at max 2-3 secs before it stops and the red lights come on. I think I have to bring it back to the dealer and have them check it out. Just very frustrating when everyone at the ramp turns and goes.

Quote 0 0
kevimchale

Sounds like a weak battery again.  Maybe you are not charging.  Battery should be about 13 volts and not drop badly when cranking.  Check battery connections for cleanliness and tightness and at the starter and solenoid as well.

Quote 0 0
Lenard
What kind of battery do you have? How are the connections, is there a battery switch?

Quite easy test is to put a multimeter on the terminals of the engine, the + probe on the solenoidterminal from the positive cable coming from the battery. The - probe on a clean powerhead ground.

Read voltage, this should be about 12,6 V minimum. Now ask somebody to start the engine, the voltage may never drop below 9V during starting.

If it will pass this test, 95% sure that the battery, cables, connectors and switch is okay and vice versa.
Quote 0 0
kevinpa
I didn`t think you had to pump anything on the e-tec to get fuel in there,according to the info-mercial there`s no mixing gas and oil no pumping fuel before you start it or am I missing something ?? Also it says starts first time every time ?????
kevinpa
Quote 0 0