Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
vardyman
I have a 1976, 200 HP Evinrude on a 2000 Hurricane deck boat. The problem I am having is my motor runs fine at an expected rpm (4K) and speed (30 or so) when I first take off from my dock and does fine until I come to a place where I need to slow to an idle, like into a commercial dock and then back out to open water.  Then when I try to resume cruising speed, the engine will bog down and rev. up to approx. 28K rpm and speeds of only 15-18 mph.  This has happened to me on every outing, 3-4 times since I got it in the water this spring..

Both the engine and boat are new to me this summer. To me, it acts as if it is starving for gas. I can put it in neutral and it will rev up to 6000 or higher just fine, but drop it in gear and it goes in slow motion.  

Does an old engine like this one need to run on a closed, no vent gas tank?  Or should it be able to run on this boat, which has a loosly fitting gas cap and I think it also is vented.

Can someone give me some advice?

My neighbor, a retired mechanic, has tested all of the cylinders for fire under a load and he says they are fine.  I have replaced one coil and one power pack. I pulled the fuel line out of the tank to check for a clog.  We pushed the check valve out of the tank fitting.  It uses the larger,3/8" hose. 

Thanks,

Vardyman
Fred Overbay
Quote 0 0
taglic

This motor uses a vented tank. The check valve is in the hose so that the priming bulb will work. Replace the check valve so fuel flows in the correct direction to the motor and squeeze the priming bulb while your underway and motor is bogging. If revs pick up you have a fuel delivery problem, possibly a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

Carl Tagliabue
Quote 0 0
vardyman
Taglic,

Re:  Reply to Slo Mo Evinrude.

Where is the fuel filter located on the 1976, 200 HP Evinrude engine?

Thanks for your response.

Vardyman
Fred Overbay
Quote 0 0
taglic
Under the motor cover if you follow the fuel line from the quick disconnect it goes to the fuel pump. At that point you will see it's connected to a Black Plastic Cap with a thumbscrew it the center. Loosen the thumbscrew and you'll find the filter screen. If it not clogged you have another problem like a bad fuel pump. BRP/OMC makes rebuliding kits for these fuel pumps.
To see an exploded view of your motor's parts click on the link bellow then click on the make (Evinrude or Johnson) and the year.

http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Public/BRP_Public_Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fbrands%3dej%26lang%3dE%26dealerlocator%3dno&brands=ej&lang=E&dealerlocator=no
Carl Tagliabue
Quote 0 0