Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
Beech

I recently acquired a Johnson Sailmaster 9.9 and it is missing the ID plate from the clamp.  The number (I presume is the serial number) that is stamped on the quarter sized soft plug on the RH top rear of the block is C8488648.  It is a 25" long shaft electric start 9.9 sailmaster.  Am I right to presume that it is a 1984 model?  I am looking for a service manual for this motor if anyone knows where I can get one, but first need to determine exactly what year it is.

Johnson 9.9 model/year ID
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello the model # will help find year of engine as this design started in 1974 with minor changes through 1990s

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
Beech

Where else can I look for a number as the ID plate on the clamp is missing?  The only other number that I am able to find is the number from the soft plug that I supplied.  Are there any other clues that I can look for to determine the exact year or does it really matter?  Are these motors all similar enough that I can interchange parts without knowing the exact model year?

Johnson 9.9 model/year ID
Quote 0 0
Webmaster_OBW

Post (or call the Shop) with the

6 digit part number on the powerpack,

and the OBW can get within a few years - to tell you the correct manual for your engine.

Gail, Assistant, Consultant + Sister of The Outboard Wizard -
Owner of Fuel-Testers Company + MLR Solutions (Health/Science Consulting firm)
Quote 0 0