Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
Stone

Hello all!!

I am brand new to this forum, and will be grateful for the response I get.  I have a doozie....

1985 Johnson GT150

J150STLCOS

J6131018

1985 Ranger 350V

The "VR" is bad on my engine.  My question is this, can I do without it??

1) Can I disconnect all of the leads from the VR and just leave it where it is?  (I realize this will disable my charging circuit, but as far I as I know, this will only mean that my crank battery will not recharge while I am underway.  The VR has been bad for a year and has not be charging my battery and I have never had a dead crank battery regardless of how much I have used it.  I only make day trips to the lake and run my engine for a total of 20 minutes and start it maybe 5 times.  All of my electronics are powered off my trolling batteries)

2) Can I run my tachometer (OMC #174206) off of the AC power from my stator (yellow/gray wire) rather than on the DC power VR?  (My tach hasn't worked for a year, that is how I knew to check my VR and realized it was bad.)

I just want to 1) avoid replacing my VR and 2) get my tach to work.  Is this possible?

Thanks!!!

Stone

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I would replace regulator rectifier as the tach circut helps with oil injection warning system and would not use stator leads for tach

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0