Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
Ray74959

I have a Oct 2000 50 HP Johnson Outboard Model J50PLSIB or J50PL51B not for sure as the label is hard to read.  Serial # G04947730.

When I try to start the engine using the electronic choke the engine floods.  I only push in on the choke for 1 to 2 seconds while the engine is turning over.  Even if I don't push in on the electronic choke the engine floods.

I have to take the spark plugs out, turn over the cyclinders to dry them out, install the plugs and then the engine will start.  It has done this since buying  the engine new in 2001.

Do I need to rebuild the carborators?  If so do you have a complete service manual that will show have to do it?  Do you have the rebuild kits or know where the best place is to get them?

I cannot afford to take it to a dealer as they want $65.00 an hour just to look at the engine.

Thanks.

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I would check if manual choke is open. the red lever on choke primer should be turned clockwise until seated in closed position.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
Ray74959

I checked the valve and it is closed (clockwise). 

I also try starting it by pushing in the choke for 2 seconds and them don't push it in again and it fluids also.

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I would check fuel pump vacuum hose for fuel as diapharm might be punctured.

Quote 0 0
Ray74959

Thanks.  I will try that as soon as the bad storms pass over.

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard
ok
Quote 0 0