Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
TOBY

I HAVE A 1985-70 HP JOHNSON.  I RECENTLY LAUNCHED MY BOAT, STARTED THE ENGINE, BACKED OFF OF THE TRAILER UNDER POWER AND TIED OFF TO THE FLOATING DOCK.  AFTER PARKING THE TRUCK, I ATTEMPTED TO LEAVE THE DOCK AND THE MOTOR STALLED. IT STALLED IMMEDIATELY EITHER IN REVERSE OR FORWARD GEAR.  THE BOAT DIDN'T EVEN MOVE.  I INCREASED THE IDLE SPEED WITH NO HELP. TOOK IT HOME AND MADE THE FOLLOWING CHECKS: COMPRESSION 145-150 PSI ON ALL THREE CYLINDERS, SPARK TESTER ( ALL THREE COILS JUMPED HALF INCH GAP WITH BLUE SPARK), CHECKED SPARK ON ALL THREE SPARK PLUGS--GOOD, RECENTLY CLEANED THE CARBS, SO I RECHECKED POSITION OF THROTTLE CAM FOLLOWER IN IDLE AND FULL THROTTLE. THE THROTTLE PLATES ARE HORIZONTAL AT FULL THROTTLE AND THE TIMING LEVER ADVANCES TO THE THROTTLE STOP.  TEED A PRESSURE GAUGE AT OUTPUT OF FUEL PUMP (READS 3 PSI CONSTANTLY WITH WARM UP LEVER IN START POSITION). WITH MOTOR RUNNING, ENGAGED FORWARD AND REVERSE GEAR TO ELIMINATE POSSIBLE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM STALLING ENGINE.  THE ONLY THING THAT APPEARS DIFFERENT IS THE AMOUNT OF COOLANT FLOW FROM THE TELLTALE.  THE BUILT IN COOLANT PRESSURE GAUGE READS ABOUT 2 PSI VS 10 PSI IN THE PAST.  TOOK THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING OFF AND RAN THE MOTOR MOMENTARILY AND WATER FLOWED OUT OF THE PORTS. THE THERMOSTAT CHECKS OUT OK.  THE POWER HEAD IS NOT OVERHEATING AND THE PROP DOES NOT HAVE A SPUN HUB. THE LOWER UNIT IS A REBUILD THAT HAS ONLY 20 HOURS OF OPERATION.  LAST WEEK I REPLACED THE GEAR OIL AND FOUND NO TRACES OF WATER INTRUSION OR METAL FILINGS ON THE MAGNET.  HOPE YOU CAN HELP---------THANKS  TOBY 

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I would verify idle temp at 145 and check carbs for lean condition by intermittently choking or spraying fuel while running to see if engine responds or picks up rpm.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0