Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
jrich

I have a 1996 175 hp evinrude intruder motor. It is stalling when i throttle up from 8000rpm -12000 rpm and is missing. If it gets to 12000 rpm the boat runs seemingly well.  I think it is still missing at the higher rpms though when i had started it in my shop with muffs on. The carberators were varnished and all were cleaned and rebuilt by a authorized evinrude repair shop last year for the same problem. It seemed to be fine for several trips to the lake. Now it is doing the same thing missing at low rmps and stalling as you throttle up. I removed the plugs and on the r upper 2 cylinders the plugs seem to be to be a different color then the rest of the plugs and possibly are not firing. Any ideas where to start? Is this still a fuel carberator prolem or problem with the optical ignition system?

Quote 0 0
kenny

Good morning brother,

I am no marine mechanic, but I had a very similar problem with my Johnson 90. My motor would not idle. It would start but I had to keep some throttle on it using the throttle lever. I pulled down the lever and had to slip it into gear almost simultaneously, kind of a two handed action. What a pain especially trying to dock. .....Took it to have my low idle jets cleaned in the carb. That is what some friends said is probably wrong. The mechanic tried to start it said it was sounding funny when cranking. Did a compression check and two of the cylinders were fried.... BAD.... One had none and the other had like 2 pounds. He said that is my idle problem. Then I bought a rebuilt power head. Just trying to help. I would do a compression check. 

Quote 0 0