Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
mattybeugatty

I have a 40hp Johnson outboard it is a 1971 model. The model number being 40R71G. I am having problems with loss of power. I can run the motor on the top cylinder with the bottom cylinder spark plug lead off, but can not run the motor on the bottom cylinder alone. I placed a piece of wire into the spark plug lead and there was an orange spark to frame but no spark to the top of the spark plug. However i had a spare spark plug which i plugged into the lead and put wire around the thread of the plug and the other end to frame, there was spark and it was blue. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas and any specs on the ignition system, coil resistance, point gap, etc. I also put the motor in gear with the motor off and could not feel the prop slipping when i turned it. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote 0 0
mattybeugatty

Problem with the outboard was found. The spark on the bottom cylinder was not strong enough and found coil to be down to earth, Hence my problem...

Quote 0 0