Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
luisllorens

Hi, I need some help in figuring out what is wrong with my '96 Johnson 225. The problem is that I am not able to find an adjustment to the gear shift cables so that it will work correctly.  One adjustment will engage the forward gear correctly but not release when set back to neutral. From here I can make the unit go to neutral only by pulling the handle into reverse and back to neutral. If I adjust back so that it will go to neutral then the gear will not fully engage. I have replaced the control cables and still have the same results. I also noticed that shifting gears has become excessively hard on the control so I am starting to suspect that something else is going on.  Any ideas?

-Luis

Lighthouse Point, Florida

Luis E. Llorens
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I would verify total travel with cable disconnected and see if gearcase is moving more than control. I would also check weld on shift shaft.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
luisllorens

Hi and thanks for the advice.  I will check this during the weekend.  thanks.

-Luis

Luis E. Llorens
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

If you have any problems on weekend when checking, give me a call on cell phone 631-514-1525

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0