Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
Lipock2
I bought a 15 HP Johnson 15R75C. Have cranked it several times using muffs and water hose. Motor will crank on third pull and as soon as warmed up on 1st pull. Today I decided to try it in the river. Stopped for gas and oil for the motor. Got it in the river and it would not crank. Tried for an Hour and all I could get out of it was a few sputters but it would never run. Hauled it back from the river, put on the muffs and water hose. It cranked on the third pull as always.

Can someone shed some light on this?  I don't have the repair manual or users manual.

Thanks,

Quote 0 0
kevimchale
A motor with very little power will often run quite nicely with the muffs on in the driveway.  But when you put it in the lake there is a lot more back pressure on the exhaust and the low power output becomes apparent. 

I would do a compression test.  Should be around 120 psi with only 10% difference between cylinders - full throttle - no choke.  Good luck I hoped someone didn't hose you.
Quote 0 0
Lipock2

Thanks for your reply.  I will do a compression check.

Quote 0 0