Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
TNFF1234

i have recently bought me a boat(which is my FIRST boat) and it has a Johnson130 outboard motor...i took it out for the first time last weekend and i was trying to pull a friend on a wakeboard and the boat seemed like it was hesitating and didnt have the power to pull him up...not really sure what to do....and when we were just riding around on the lake it took awhile to get going good and fast...what could be wrong and what can i do?!?!?

TNFF1234
Quote 0 0
rdavis

What size prop do you have on the motor? You may have to go down to a smaller pitch to get more power out of the hole. Also a dorsal fin on the motor will help get the bow down when you first apply power.

Rick Davis
Quote 0 0
TNFF1234
i am really not sure, this is my first boat and i dont know what size prop it came with when i bought it....how can i find out?
TNFF1234
Quote 0 0
rdavis

I thought someone smarter than me would reply. But, I will try to help. The size prop and pitch are located either on the side of the Michagan props or under the prop nut on others. There are many article that will explaing it better but I think of the pitch like a transmission. The higher the pitch the less bite and therefore the less power out of the hole. For every degree of pitch you go up you will loose 200 RPM and for every degreee down gain 200 RPM.  Be careful to not exceed your RPMs. Therefore if you have a 19 or 21 degree pitch prop you are set up more for cruise than power. I don't know that this is your problem but it will give you something to look at and a place to start. If you have someone that has a extra prop for your motor you might try it before buying. I am sure the wizzard is a lot smarter on this than me and you might contact him! Hope this helps a little.

Rick Davis
Quote 0 0