Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
FishDontCare
I would like to test my alternator on my 1995 Evinrude Ocean Pro 200 HP engine.  When I went to start my engine yesterday, I discovered the batteries had drained.  I had to jump start my engine. 

I went out for a run believing my engine would charge the batteries while continuously running the engine.  Just the opposite occurred.  I only had my VHF radio and depth finder on at the time.  The batteries discharged to the point that neither the radio or depth finder would work. 

Shouldn't my alternator provide at least 12 volts to power these electronics and also provide some trickle charge for the batteries.  The original sales manual indicates a 35 amp alternator. 

I don't have what I would consider an owner's manual for the engine.  How do I get one?  Will it explain how to test the alternator?
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello when engine is run over 2500 voltage should raise to 14.5 volts . if not charging and nothing on battery should stay at 12 volts.the tach also works off charging system. I have the factory service manual that covers stator resistance checks and regulator rectifier testing. if tach is not working check voltage at grey wire of rectifier regulator with key on not running and if any voltage present regulator rectifier.running voltage should be 9 volts.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
FishDontCare
The tachometer was working the entire time that the system totally discharged.

Based on what you are saying, with the engine running, I should be able to disconnect the batteries and see at least 12 volts between the postive and ground cables going to the batteries?  ... or should I put my probes some where else?

I've ordered the of "Clymer Evinrude/Johnson: 2-Stroke Outboard Shop Manual : 85-300 1995-2002..." manual to help out with this.  Is this the right resource?

Sawyer sends . . .

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello do not disconnect batteries while running or rectifier failure can occur. the volt meter should be connected directly to pos and neg at battery for testing. with engine not running voltage should be 12.5 and should increase when running to max of 14.5. the clymer manual is general and will speak of many types of charging systems. the factory manuals I sell are specific to your model . If stator resistance is good the most common failure would be rectifier regulator.

Quote 0 0
FishDontCare
Ok.  Got the point about disconnecting the batteries.  Thanks!!!

If my batteries are dead, I won't have a 12.5 volt reading when the engine is not running.  In this case, can I still expect to see 14.5 volts after I jump start the engine and remove the jumpers? 

Let me rephrase the question.  Can I expect to see a 14.5 volt charge while running the engine with dead batteries?

I'm checking your site for those manuals.

Sawyer sends . . .

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello always test with charged battery at 12 volts min

Quote 0 0