Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
demasb
My 60HP 2000 Johnson motor had an issue with the fuel system.  It has a VRO fuel pump but the oil part has been disabled.  The engine had been running fine until my last outing.  Was running motor at 3/4 throttle when it started to die out and finally stalled.  It would start no problem, but would not run long. Had to keep pumping the bulb to keep it running to get back to the boat ramp (it ran fine while pumping the bulb).

The motor has a primer solenoid that clicks when the key is pushed in while in the on position. I disconnected the fuel line past the fuel pump and filter and was able to pump gas using the bulb (I don't think there is any blockage).  I'm guessing its the fuel pump.  It looks like it runs off suction from the engine.  Any other possibilities for what might be causing the problem?

Since I'm not using the VRO, is there a cheaper alternative for replacing the fuel pump (something without the VRO aspect)? The OEM replacement is over $300.

Quote 0 0
demasb
Follow-up, I was given a non-VRO alternative to the original VRO fuel pump for this motor. The non-VRO part number is 438557, will this work?  Does it have a similar flow rate as the original?
Quote 0 0