Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
chrism
I bought a used 2008 90 hp etec.    I needed a new harness for it.

On the motor end of the harness there are 3 pigtails (connectors). 2 of them are 6 pin (one male, one female). I cannot figure out where these connect in the motor. It is hard to believe that they are just meant to plug into each other as I think they would. If that were the case, why would they even exist ?(unless it's for diognostic equiptment access).

Can someone clear this up for me so I don't screw this up?

Thank you, chris m.
chris m
Quote 0 0
marinermikes

First of all you need the harness that goes to the control box and instuments. One of the plugs goes to the control box. The other six prong plug is for your instuments and warning horn and the other is for the tilt trim switch.  Mike

Quote 0 0
chrism
The control box end is all hooked up, it's the engine end i am inquiring about. But thanks for the reply.

chris
chris m
Quote 0 0
chrism
nobody has an etec and can tell me whether or not the 2- 6 pin plugs of the wiring harness on the motor side plug into each other?

no tech guy out there who can tell me this is a port for diognostics or not?

chris
chris m
Quote 0 0
chrism
I'm going to post the answer to my question before I leave this sad, sad forum, delete my computer links, and seriously contemplate selling both of my BRP motors. Wish seriously I had never found this site, it has badly shaken my confidence in BRP.

The answer is that there is an electrical compartment under the back half of the flywheel/stator cover which is removed with 4 phillips screws. Under it are hiding male and a female 6 pin plugs into which the rear harness connectors are to be connected.

Anyone who has any real experience with ETEC's would have known this instantly. Therefore, I would have absolutely no trust that the moderator of this forum either knows much or gives two hoots about their customers. Suggest BRP either work on this, or fully abandon this forum before they alienate more customers and potential customers. I also asked a prop question to which there was no reply for 2 months! Very, very frustrating that I had to find another ETEC owner, travel to his house, and trace the harness in his motor, simply because "Advanced Tech Help" could not/would not answer this basic question! Sorry for the rant, FIX IT.

So long, Chris

chris m
Quote 0 0
kevimchale
Any advice is free.  Should someone not receive it I realize it can be frustrating - but this site is free.

I think a trip to a dealer would have quickly fixed him up.  Talking about selling 2 motors because of a slow response from this site sounds extreme.

And if I am not mistaken this site does not pretend to represent BRP.

Lastly I know nothing of ETEC engines but suspect if I looked the wiring connection points would be somewhat obvious - I doubt they design them to be hidden.

Quote 0 0
chrism
A) I do apologize for venting my frustration, but I might have caused expensive damage if I had hooked these up wrong.

B) I've owned dozens of outboards and have never before seen a hidden compartment for harness connections. But the new Etec has one and at least I posted the answer so that hopefully others don't find the same frustration. When you buy a new motor, you'd like to use it. I had called my local BRP dealer and their attitude was if you didn't buy it here, either let us rig it or figure it out yourself.( I think shortsighted as someone is going to get the ongoing service work). I finally received the $75 shop manual in the mail, and had I had it earlier, I would have learned of the hidden compartment there.
C) I'm not sure who is behind this forum but at least the front page seems to suggest a "Certified OMC BRP dealer and master technician".

D)You've convinced me not to sell them quite yet.

Sorry again, Chris

chris m
Quote 0 0
kevimchale
My experience with cars is that the electronics are so reliable often as not a check engine light problem is caused by a poor contact in a connector.

BRP are likely trying to protect these important connections from the elements by housing them instead of merely hanging them on the side of the motor like the old days where they are susceptable to water, oil, etc.
Quote 0 0