Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
JoeKriz
I am converting my older 1985 Evinrude 150 to the System Check system.

I have heard that BRP sells a conversion kit for this but have not found any info on the BRP Online Parts Catalog.
So, I decided to take this on myself.

I removed my old tachometer with the purple, black, and gray wires and connected those wires to a new modular 8 pin plug for the System Check tach. I plugged this into the new System Check tach and the tach works just fine. Of course I do not have the idiot lights at this time. More on this later.

I also have no problem putting on a modular 6 pin connector to the old harness to accept a new modular key switch which I already have.

I also see no problem in putting on a new modular 3 pin connector to the old harness to accept the trim switch connection from the new modular binnacle control which I already have.

Now to my questions about the wiring for the System Check tachometer idiot lights.

1. The tan wire coming from the engine overheat sensors can be connected to pin #6 of the tachometer which will turn on the "HOT" idiot light... No problem here...

2. Now, what to do with only one wire coming from the old VRO external oil tank...
There should be 2 wires, (not including the ground) coming from the oil tank.
One for the "Low Oil" light and one for the "No Oil" light in this configuration:
A. Tan w/yellow stripe wire should be connected to pin #4 for "No Oil" light...
B. Tan w/black stripe wire should be connected to pin #5 for "Low Oil" light....

Where does the Tan w/yellow stripe go on the engine? This is No Oil idiot light.

Where does the Tan w/black stripe go on the engine? I assume this could go to pin #5 for Low Oil as the Low Oil sensor works before the tank gets low enough to sense NO Oil...

See my research and article on this ongoing project here:
[URL=http://www.whalercentral.com/readarticle.php?article_id=72]System Check Conversion[/URL]
Joe Kriz
[i]1985 Evinrude 150 hp - 1988 Evinrude 8 hp[/i]
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello the oil tank sender will need to be system check type.The horn will sound for 10 seconds and light will stay lit. The vro pump will activate no oil horn and light.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
JoeKriz
Thanks Ralph,

I see now that I have the older VRO Pump with 3 wires.
Apparently I need to upgrade the VRO Pump or a get a kit to convert it to 4 wires.
New Pump #5004558
New Pump Conversion Kit #5004559
Not sure which is the best way to go for the VRO Pump.

Any advice on the above would be great...

I finally found the part number for the entire system check conversion kit. #176709
However, this kit still needs a 4 wire VRO Pump...
Do you know what this kit contains? And any price?

Thanks
Joe Kriz
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

hello the kit includes the  oil tank sender and wire harness to key switch . the 3 wire pump will work but was changed to 4 wire to prevent false warning signals.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
JoeKriz
Ralph,

Upon further examination, I do have the 4 wire VRO Pump.
I could not see the black wire before because it was kind of hidden and in the back.
Purple, Gray, Black, Tan

Apparently all I need is the wiring conversion kit which includes the VRO Oil pump pickup...

Question:
The wiring harness to key switch you mention..
Does this replace the existing wiring harness going from the engine to the console?
Is this the one with the Red Plug on the engine end?
Or is it just an adapter on the console side so you can plug in the new modular key switch and system check gauges...??

I sure would like to see the instruction diagram for this kit, #176709, on how it is connected. Any chance of getting a copy of the instructions?

Thanks for all your help.
Joe Kriz
Quote 0 0