Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
mark1961
Hi all, im new here and am after some help regarding setting the float level without a float guage, is it possible to do this or do i really need the guage to do it accurately? The setting im referring to is where the carb body is inverted to set the upper fuel level. For your info im trying to do this on an 82 evinrude 60hp model E60TLCNM. Am i screwed without a guage?

Thanks in advance,
Mark.        
Quote 0 0
kevimchale
As a back yard mechanic this is my response.  All the times I tried to worry about the perfect float level with a certain measurement turned out to be a waste of time.

After setting several very exactly it always turns out that the float is merely parrallel to the carb body when held upside down.

I would recommend taking a close look at your float needle valve and if there is a groove worn into the rubber nipple I would replace it.
Quote 0 0
mark1961

Thanks kev, always intended on replacing both needle valves in any case as newies come with the kits anyway and it would be silly not to while everything is apart. So you reckon the base of the float should be parrallel with the carb mating face even with new needles? Cheers.         

Quote 0 0
kevimchale
If you look at your floats and they are just the typical box type with no angles I would just hold the carb level upside down and the float should be level and parrallel to the carb bowl mounting flange.

If your floats are unusually shaped there usually is a seam in the middle and I would use that.  Should be obvious enough.  Good luck.
Quote 0 0