Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
Rich
History, used engine ,laid up year and a half 96 225 johnson, last owner changed trigger and screwed up timing he says. Starts right up at purchase but back fires. Good compression 105 in all six. figure take a shot, mech with 40 yrs agrees. Change plugs , fresh gas. Start it to time it, its running backwards after backfire, 10 seconds tops. Remove flywheel and fix broken and loose magnets, visually checks stator and starts from there and times it. Rebuild all six carbs new intake and reed box gaskets, reeds are good, great spark, swaps out coils and pack, problem is cyclinders 2 and 4 won`t fire and the carbs are good linked and synced.
They have good spark, plenty of fuel , just won`t fire. Took off head, pistons look good, putting new head gasket on, the old one looked ready to go. Plugs are oily when pulled, we are stumped. Motor starts and purrs on 4 cyclinders will idle for long peroids and powers up in nuetral .Past owner a tinkerer with past johnson v-4 ownership.Its possible this man put a used trigger and or stator from a smaller v-4 motor on this six. Tearing off flywheel again today to swapout trigger or timing base and putting head back together. Does this seem possible as cause of problem.We are stumped, Mech is excellent, he`s on a mission to get this thing right, another mech pointed him toward timing base, what do you guys think. We are local L.I.ders  Any pointers or encouragement would be helpfull. Also its not in slow mode and shift switch has been deactivated, Vro is disconnected and mixing oil thru tank.
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello when flywheel is off check for loose inner magnet that fires trigger. then index flywheel and check spark for each cylinder to be near tdc and no double firing. this procedure is in service manual or I can explain. 631-514-1525 thanks Ralph

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
Rich

Ralph, thanks for the reply, got to the yard around lunch time yesterday, as I said the Mech is great, boat was running and he was tuning carbs. He swaped out the timing plate, replaced head gasket and went over the flywheel ,all before I could give him fresh ideas. Left dock and motored around for 10 mins at close to Wot, runs great on top end, needs some low speed adjustments, putting on 6 new fresh coils today, a little more adjusting and should be good to go. Going to change other head gasket over the winter, very close to being rebuilt with out tearing the power head apart.Great forum and much better then I-boats, thanks again, I`m sure I will post again with this 13 year old motor.  Rich

Quote 0 0