Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
JimmyJack

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and would appreciate any help I can get.  I know next to nothing about outboards, but learning more everyday thanks to your site.

I recently purchased a boat with a 1979 Johnson 85hp V4.  I heard it run before I purchased, but then when I get it home I could not get it to crank using just the key choke.  I read later somewhere that if the butterfly plates were not closing 100% when choking it would not work properly...so I went back out and after pumping the bulb, I had my dad turn it over while I pressed the choke plates completely closed with my fingers and she started up pretty quick and idled down and ran until I unhooked the gas line.

My question is: Is there a way to adjust something, maybe a choke solenoid so that the butterfly plates will close 100% when using the key choke so that I don't have to remove the cowling and require 2 people to start every time?

Thanks in advance for any help,

JJ

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello the choke solinoid can be moved to help hold flaps closed. it is also important to check that both flaps close at same time and are adjusted properely.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0