Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
oldfourwinns
Hello,
I have a 94 FourWinns Fling, has the OMC 115, TurboJet drivesystem. Recently had a overheat, hit some mud/rocks on the river bank. It sputtered for a few seconds, i reversed the drive for a few seconds than I ran WOT forward for 2 or 3 minutes came to a stop to check it out. Opened the hatch and had steam comming off the motor, alarm did not sound. After it cooled I started it, sounded rough but ran OK for a few seconds on the trailer while still in the water. Went home ordered new thermostats, springs, head alarms, water jacket deflectors, all the gaskets, some new hoses and a new water strainer, about 350.00 worth of all the cooling items I could find.  Thought I would flush it and replace all this stuff.
Should have done this first, but just did a compression test, 115/115 port 110/5 on the other head. Now what? If I get it apart and see the worst {piston/cylinder damage} could just that top side be repaired?
Any thoughts or or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Quote 0 0
jasong
Do I read you correctly that one cylinder is 5PSI ?

If so that is serious. My recent experience is that cost of rebuild is worth weighing up against new engine before you go too far
Quote 0 0
oldfourwinns
Thanks for the answers. I did order new head gaskets as well. I will have to pull the covers anyway to replace the overheat alarms and rubber water deflectors. I will be able to see right there if the piston or cylinder walls are damaged. And yes, top starboard side only reads 5lb, barely moves at all, thats why I asked if only that one cylinder could be fixed. I have a bad feeling the very low reading means real trouble. When I get all the parts, hope by this weekend, I will tear into it. Replace all the cooling stuff I have ordered. I am not going to try and rebuild/replace any thing that has to do with the piston. I do not want to pull the motor by myself.  I'll take it to a shop and hope just 1 side can be fixed cheaper than a total rebuild.
I'll post what happens, I noticed a lot of views on the thread. Must be other people out there with just 1 low compression reading.
Thanks
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello If engine has more than 15 lb difference between cylinders on same side remove head and inspect cylinders

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
oldfourwinns
I received all the parts I ordered today. I removed the head, the top cylinder with only 5LB compression, that piston top has about one hundred pits, same area on the head cover has them also. Looks like a rock or something along those lines was pulverized in there. I did not see any rocks, or metal or anything like that. I did see some very small rocks along the water jacket area, also saw the mud and muck I saw when I first hit that bank that started all this. The bottom piston and cylinder walls looked great, I assume the other 2 on the other side look as good, they all had similar compression. I did not attempt to compress the damaged piston down to see the cylinder walls, the very small area I could see did not look damaged, but I assume it would have to be damaged if something was in there and pulverized. I took out the engine compartment walls, covers and all that type stuff, removed the engine compartment hatch.  Installed my cooling stuff, except the thermostat/springs/plunger, I figure the motor will have to be pulled now anyway, and that will completly expose the adapter plate where that stuff is loacated, saving me lots of frustartions attempting with the motor still in the boat. I put everything on the motor back in place.Next move will be to take it to an expert, and hope one piston can be replaced for cheap, and at worst may need to bore that one cylinder.
So here is the question: Could just one piston/cylinder be repaired?
Guess I will update the thread when I find out next week.
Quote 0 0
oldfourwinns
Talked to mechanic at the marina today. He said from my decription of the pits on the top of the piston and inside the head cover, sounds for sure like the overheat caused it to shed the rings, they got pulverized, thats what made the pit marks. He said it  needs a total rebuild! They order a new rebuild from Florida, send my block back as a core to the supplier, $2500.00. Also labor, various parts and rebuild carbs, $1000.00. So $3500.00 for a motor in my boat thats worth about 2500.00 to 3000.00 in running condition. My boat is near flawless in condition, has all the options and some extras and has alway ran fine, I have 3,800.00 in it to date, what do you do in this situation?
Anyway I still wonder if just that one piston/cylinder could be repaired? Marina today said it woud make the motor out of balance. Anybody out there have any better options I might look into other than 3500.00 for a new rebuil?

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello If crank is good I can assist with rebuilding your powerhead est cost 1500.00 call to discuss options 631-514-1525

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
oldfourwinns
Thanks Ralph.
I'll call Tuesday.
Quote 0 0