Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
bowhunter83

When I start up the motor and use the manual throttle it revs up just fine. When I put it in reverse it revs up just fine and travels at normal speed. BUT when I put it in forward it only goes about 1/4 throttle, even with the throttle lever in the WOT position it only runs at 1/4 speed and won't rev up. Is this a carb problem or somthing else? Ive looked in the manual and checked/adjusted the cables to where they should be and that still didn't solve it. I've checked the fuel pump and replaced the fuel lines as well. Spark plugs are new as well. I just can't figure out why it will run and rev up just fine in reverse, but not in forward.

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard
Hello ,
Needs to varify if engine is running on both cylinders
please remove one wire at a time to varify engine runs on that cylinder
will also need to verify if engine is getting fuel on each carb
any other questions please call

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
bowhunter83

Actually, I just started it up yesterday to get it ready for fishing season, and I'm not sure if it was doing this before or its something that just occured this winter, but the number 2 cyl is not firing, the wire is good, the plug sparks when grounded to the engine, and when I pull the plug out after having it run for a min the plug is wet....so I imagine that it is not running the number 2 cyl due to air or too much/too little fuel. I will be doing a carb rebuild this week sometime and see if that fixes the number 2 cyl........but even if the no 2 isnt firing,that would explain the going forward at 1/4 speed......but why wouldnt the rpm's go up in forward and why would it be running fine in reverse? Wouldnt if the no 2 was the prob, it should be doing the same thing in reverse?

Quote 0 0
bowhunter83

OK, I took the carbs off tonight and threw a rebuild kit on both. When I took the carbs off, I checked the reed valves to make sure there wasnt anything on the exterior of them to cause a blockage of air, and they were clean and un obstructed. And when I took the carbs off, I noticed that the bottom carb didn't have very much fuel (only a few drops) in the bowl when I went to drain them, but the top was full. Hopefully it was just because the lower float was stuck in the full position or something and the rebuild kit fixed that. Well see when I start it up tomorow. Everything inside the carbs looked clean and good, no blockages anywhere and no gunk. The rebuild kit for the carbs is the only thing that I havent done to it so far, so hopefully that fixes it. If not Im stumped.

Quote 0 0