Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
mrbrown

Good morning,

Just bought engine.  Runs rough at idle but starts well everytime; thought it from just sitting for long time.  Put on 16' Whaler.  Would advance throttle to get boat on plane and then the engine would smooth out and the boat would really fly. Throttling back just a bit, the boat would come off plane.  Second time out after about 45 minutes running at 3/4 throttle on plane (very fast), horn beeps once for less than a second and engine surges and runs very rough; as if one cylinder cutting on and off.  Throttle back to idle and it's rough but steady and gets me home.  Come to find out that at idle it's only running on one cylinder (bottom).  Also find some loose wires associated with warning horn circuit that may have shorted out to ground.  Understand there is some sort of slow mode that the engine goes into to protect itself from overheating.  How is this reset? Not being confident of the VRO; I've mixed oil with gas and disabled the oil related warning sensor (just jumpered at the controls), leaving the high temp alarm in place.  Any advice would be much appreciated.   Thanks, Mitch

Mitchell R. Brown
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

slow mode is activated by grounding tan temp lead. once activated tan lead needs to become un grounded and engine stopped and restarted. slow mode will restrict engine to 2500rpm untill reset

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
mrbrown

Good afternoon,

any ideas as to why this engine would only be running on one cylinder at low speeds?  Both plugs seem to be firing when I test them just cranking the engine.  Carbs seem clean.  I'll advance the throttle and all at once the engine will catch on both cylinders and RPM will go way up; I'll throttle back and it will go back to running on one. 

Thanks, Mitch

Mitchell R. Brown
Quote 0 0