Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
sailingbarry
I suspect that after I removed the power head on my 1972 Evinrude 2HP, I must have pulled the prop shaft up a little too far accidetnly, because now when I go to reattach the power head to the lower unit, it does not go all the way down onto the lower unit.

Was hoping to get some specific advice on how to proceed before I start just ripping things appart... thanks!
Quote 0 0
sailingbarry

I guess I should use my terms a little more carefully... I guess the problem I'm having is with the DRIVE shaft (not prop shaft), which does not seem to be seated properly, to allow the power head to lower all the way onto the lower unit.

Quote 0 0
sailingbarry
OK, did the obvious stuff (took everything apart down below basically) and got that all done... should fit back together with no problem now.

Now I'm hoping I still get a good spark, and the timing is good, once I reattach the magnito/flywheel.

Any chance I can get away without having to re-time it and set the points gap?  Anybody?
Quote 0 0
taglic

Was the flywheel removed and the ignition system serviced? If not then the timing should be the same as it was before you took it apart.

Carl Tagliabue
Quote 0 0
sailingbarry

The flywheel had to be removed, in order to remove the crank... in order to remove the piston.  Nothing was serviced on the ignition system (this time... last time I had the flywheel off, I had it timed and etc.). So, can I be hopeful that I'm OK, or no?

Quote 0 0
taglic

I would check the timings full advance and make sure it's not too advanced. Otherwise you risk detonation and burning up the piston.

Carl Tagliabue
Quote 0 0
sailingbarry

Thanks!

Quote 0 0