Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
mkcoxn
If looking forward from the back of the engine. The port side top cylinder has zero compression. Spark plug has metallic specs on it. I yanked off the head and the cylinder in badly scored. The rest of the cylinders have 125 PSI compression. The engine is a fresh water, low hour (250-300) use. Engine stills runs, but obviously not well at full speed. Engine is still quiet and has no knocking or metallic noises. It is a carburated version. 

I just acquired this boat and would like some advice. I am an ASE Certified Master Mechanic, Mercury Marine Outboard and Sterndrive certified. I have rebuilt several outboard engines in the past. I have no issue with pulling this power head and splitting the cases.

Should I re-sleeve the bad cylinder and install OEM piston and rings? 

Should I try to see if it can be bored out and install oversized piston and rings.

Besides the dead cylinder the engine is pristine.

Model number J115PLSTS

I am looking for any advice from someone who has dealt with this same issue on a V4 60* looper.

Mike
781-706-3365
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard
I would bore or hone cylinder and replace with oe piston. also inspect carb for failed cylinder possible lean condition to prevent same failure
Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0