Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
Mako285
2000 225 Ficht started surging at 1500-2000 RPM almost 100 hrs on plugs - replaced plugs and indexed thinking problem would be fixed.  Engine then began surging 800-1200 RPM without moving throttle.  Re-checked indexing and gaps again, all good.  Still surging.  Ran about 10 mi and noticed engine beginning to surge at other RPM settings up to cruise which is 4000 RPM towards the end of the trip.

Checked fuel/water seperator, little bit of debris, not too bad but changed filters.  Ran again same problem at idle -- surging 0800-1200 RPM.  Checked battery terminals/connections all clean and tight. 

THought about gas so put a clean fresh 6 gal tank at the filter connection and ran motor for about 15 mins.  Still had problem at idle and still surging at other RPM settings while burning ~2 gallons of new clean gas.  During this test, the motor REALLY started to surge without moving the throttle, this time between 2200-3000 RPM with the throttle in the idle position and running very rough.  Shutdown the engine, changed fuel line back to main tank and started engine again, engine started and immediately was at 2200 RPM surging back and forth to 3000 RPM and running VERY rough.

Ideas? 
Mako285
Quote 0 0
chumleydoo

Have similar problem w/ my outboard.  2000 Evinrude 175hp Ficht (E175FPXSSV).  I am trying to diagnose engine w/ software 1.42b that I purchased, but I can't get the software to work (laptop and ECU won't communicate.

Skip Richey
chumleydoo@aol.com
skip.richey@polk-fl.net
Quote 0 0
Grum
Hi, Mako285.
 I have a 1999 225hp ficht with the same type of surging problem. I was wondering if you got to the bottom of the problem with yours. Any advice you can give me would be great . Thanks Grum.
Quote 0 0
Noahsark

Have you checked compression?

Quote 0 0
Grum

I haven,t checked compression . The engine has only done 150 hrs and has only just started this problem. I have checked lift pump flow which is ok and fuel pressure which is ok .I also fitted new plugs . I will check comp today. Thanks.

Quote 0 0
stratos

I have the same problem on a 2003 225hp Ficht.  It is int he shop right now.  I had this problem 2 years ago and it was resolved by replacing the sensor in the stator head that looks at crank position and rpm.  It is my understanding that this also enables fuel flow required at rpm's ablove 1500. don't know if this wil resolve my current problem but I will let you know what happens in about a week.

Quote 0 0
Grum

I checked the compression a few days ago and they are all about 100 psi . I,m not sure if the gauge is acurate but the are all the same . I couldn,t find the specs for comp . I didn,t hold the throttle open , that could be why it is a bit low.

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello you need to verify fuel pressue .

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
Ritz
I am having the same problem with my 2003 200hp Ficht.  At idle it surges very little, however, when I am at 2000 - 4000 rpm it surges pretty bad.  I was wondering if anyone had any luck with fixing this issue. 
My current plan on trying to fix this is:
Replace the fuel filter
Clean the optical sensor under the fly wheel.
Check the plugs
Test the output of the fuel pick up
Thinking about running SeaFoam through the motor

Quote 0 0
Grum

Hi, did anyone get to the bottom of their surging problems.

Quote 0 0
BigBusa
I'm having the same exact issue with my 03' 225 Rude'. Both the higher RPM surging as well as the idle surge. DID ANYONE GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THEIR PROBLEMS???
2003 23' SeaPro 2003 225 Evinrude
Quote 0 0