Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
waykel

Hi all

I have a 2006 200 HO E-Tec that at 18 hrs, overheated and seized up with no warning bells. The port side bank grabbed at 3000rpm. Aluminium splatter on the No 2 spark plug confirmed the grabbing. The cylinder wall was gouged badly. Any suggestions as to why it done this would be appreciated. Water flow was evident at all times. I have been told that maybe the tolerances could have been too close. Anyhow a fully dressed powerhead is being installed today. Hope this one lasts!!!

Cheers

Wayne

11/10/06 Attachment removed due to large file size jpeg, please email member for picture of his beautiful boat - Administrator.

EFISHNSEA FISHING TEAM.
" I DRINK TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLE MORE INTERESTING"
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello these engines have had few problems and by bombardier getting back a complete powerhead the type of failure can  be determined . If problem is not engine failure then bottom of boat and fuel system will need to be checked and they will advise.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
waykel

Hi Ralph

What do you mean by , "If problem is not engine failure then bottom of boat and fuel system will need to be checked and they will advise." Could you be more specific.

The new power head was tested in the water yesterday and sounded a  "engine overtemp" alarm while the mechanic was doing 1500rpm, after coming off about 2500rpm, after about 45 minutes of slow running.

Another 2hrs of trying to reciprocate this would not happen. But as I said in my ealiar post, when it grabbed it gave me no warning bells.

Thanks

Wayne

EFISHNSEA FISHING TEAM.
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello when engines fail upper cylinders it can be caused by lack of water. the computer will log amount of overheat and rpm.It will decrease rpm when overheated to prevent engine damage.  it can also see an overheat of computer as it is water cooled. you can install a water pressure gauge if overheat alarm keeps sounding along with temp gauge.  If engine failure was overheat the other cylinders will also show signs. If oil failure or clog in line only that cylinder will be affected and might sound overheat alarm without having lack of water or overheat problem. Im sure they will do testing so problem does not happen for same reason . be patient and I sure problem wil be resolved . any questions call me at 631-514-1525 thanks Ralph

Quote 0 0
waykel

Hi Ralph

The new power head was installed last week and the motor was run with the mechanic driving in the lake. After about 40 Min's of idling about, he took it to 2500 rpm for about 5 Min's, then to 5000 rpm for about the same, then motored back in 1000 rpm intervals back to 1500 rpm where a engine over temp alarm sounded. We checked for the obvious IE; plastic bag, weed around the leg, but nothing there. We ran around for another 2 hours trying to reciprocate the alarm to no avail.The engine did not show signs of being hot. Took back to the workshop and the computer was plugged in and these codes were present. Active codes:

74, 75. Stored Codes: 74, 75, 38, 43. No Oil Run Time was 19 seconds, which never increased when we run it again and withdrew the data again. Crank Sync:No.  Maximum engine temp was 98.6 C / 209.5 F. We proceeded to compression test the engine and these are the readings.

1# 130psi,  2# 125psi

3# 125psi   4# 120psi

5# 125psi   5# 125psi

Are these in spec ?  We then turned the key on and out of the four led lights, the second one, Crank Position, and the third one, Sensors, where not on. When the engine was started, the third led, Sensor Fault was on.

I have been advised not to use the boat until it gets checked out again on Monday. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have not been able to use my $65000 boat for 1 month now , and am getting a little frustrated.

Cheers

Wayne Faulkner

Australia

waykel@tpg.com.au  

EFISHNSEA FISHING TEAM.
Quote 0 0
waykel

Sorry Ralph, I have seemed to written the first part again. Just got home from nightshift.!!!

Wayne

EFISHNSEA FISHING TEAM.
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello the code 74 is water pressure circut fault detected and 75 is water pressure below range. I would check sender first and then verify water pressure as water pump might be at fault. the compression is fine and you can continue to run engine. If overheat alarm sounds again I would install either a pressure gauge or temp gauge to help verify problem.

Quote 0 0
waykel

Hi Ralph

Thanks for the info. Took the boat to the dealers yesterday and got a call in the arvo to tell me the 74, 75, codes come from the fact that the new engine does not have a water pressure sensor, but the EMM is programmed for one with it. So that leaves me with the Crank Sync; NO, problem and the second LED, Crank Position not coming on when you put the key to the on position. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Wayne Faulkner

EFISHNSEA FISHING TEAM

EFISHNSEA FISHING TEAM.
Quote 0 0