Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
Backcharge

I have a 1996 Oceanrunner 225, powerhead was replaced in 2000. I spun the prop 2008 and my 'mechanic' (idiot with a toolbox) suggested rebuilding the lower unit as he could hear  alot of noise. Ok had him do it an while he had my boat he went fishing, fine no problem. While running off shore he let my oil tank run dry. Two rebuilds later I still don't have a good motor (different mechanic obviously). Moter used to push my Wellcraft 238 around 30mph at 3500 rpm's with 5 grown folks onboard. Now at 5500 rpm's I get around 17-20 mph depending on load and tide. Put 3 grown people onboard and I can't get on plane. Coming into dock or sitting on the reef and she will idle fine one minute, stall the next. Restarts fine but I'm hitting the dock way too much due to loss of power at critical moments. My new mechanic can't figure out why. I am also burning twice as much fuel as I was previously which I attribute to the required higher rpm's. I'm looking for any advice that may help. Should I just repower or is this something that can be fixed? Thanks!

Quote 0 0
chargerboats

first thing have your mechanic ceck the timing,fuel presure,power packs and the park plugs w/wires.the idiot mechanic could have adjusted somethings and didnt replace critical parts dring the rebuild.

Quote 0 0
Backcharge

We replced the VRO, powerpack, plugs, and just about everything else my new mechanic could think of. I like him alot but the problem seems to be beyond his knowledge base. That's what's got me wondering if the motor is just ruined. On another note, I called the idiot with a toolbox and he informed me he completely replaced the foot when I had been thinking he rebuilt it. New question, could my problem be a simple matter of him putting a 25" shaft where I had a 30" shaft? (Don't know he did, grasping at straws.) And if he did, how can I know for sure? Where do you measure from?

Quote 0 0