Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
Larry1

I recently purchased a boat with a Johnson motor. I wanted to see if the motor was working properly so i lowered it into a barrel of water. It starts hard and I noticed it is running a little rough and a fair amount of smoke coming out. when I shut it off and raise the motor I also notice oil residue in the water and on the lower assembly above the prop.. Does anyone have any suggestions to what the problem or problems might be. Thanks

Quote 0 0
kevimchale
Oil residue is normal for two stroke engines - oil is mixed with the gas - and then usually are pretty smoky when you first start them up unless you have a very new high tech outboard.  Oil comes out in the water and generally in the carb area, etc.

Take it for a rip on the lake with new plugs and gas in it.  Often they just need a good run to clean themselves out.  But expect smoke on startup after its been sitting overnight or longer.
Quote 0 0
Larry1

Thanks for the info. I took the boat out for a good run and you were right it quit smoking , but I have no power at full throttle. It starts alright and when you play with throttle in neutral the engine revs right up, but when you engage under load it has no power.. Any suggestions??

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello if running on all cylinders check for lean running carb . you can activate choke while running to see if engine pick up rpm or spray fuel into each carb one at a time to see if engine picks up rpm . If carb is lean at high throttle under load engine will pick up speed when fuel is added If carb ok rpm will decrease.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0