Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
herb24

This year during my Canada trip I started getting an alarm on my boat. The first time I heard it was on about day 4 of the trip. It started about 4 miles down the lake. It was an intermittent beep so I thought it was possibly low oil. I checked my reservoir and it was half full so I filled it up. The alarm continued, but now it was more of 2 sec beep followed by a 2 sec pause and then eventually a steady beep. I then checked the engine for overheating but I do not think it is that because I have a good water stream. I found out that when I would squeeze the fuel bulb the alarm would stop. I also noticed a couple of times before I pressed the bulb that the engine would slow a bit and then back up to full speed like the engine was not getting enough fuel. I then checked the fuel filter and indeed it was clogged with junk. I cleaned that out and thought I had solved the problem. Now every so often the alarm will beep after 4 or 5 miles down the lake but it does not do it every time. Also now when I idle for 15-20 minutes a 2 sec alarm followed by a 2 sec pause will go off. I can turn the engine off and then get another 15-20 minutes of idling time until the next alarm. I do not think it is anything serious because the engine appears to run great, but I would like to make sure. Does anyone know what the problem might be or what I can do to check it? It seems like a unique series of events that may or may not be linked. I am just wondering if it is a fuel flow problem, bad alarm, or even an overheating problem (but like I said I have a pretty good water flow through the motor). Please let me know if you need anymore details.

Thanks!

Quote 0 0
JoeKriz
Alarm sounds for 1995 and prior years.

[b]NO OIL[/b] = 1/2 second beep and 1/2 second pause

[b]LOW OIL[/b] = 1/2 second beep and 20 second pause (roughly)

[b]HOT[/b] = Constant beep

[b]Fuel Delivery Problem[/b] = Constant beep but when you back off the throttle, the sound goes off (some engines do not have this feature or it could have also been removed)

You might want to read this article on checking your alarm system and warning horn:
[url]http://www.whalercentral.com/readarticle.php?article_id=9[/url]

Joe Kriz
[i]1985 Evinrude 150 hp - 1988 Evinrude 8 hp[/i]
Quote 0 0
herb24
Thanks for info Joe. Originally I think my problem was the fuel delivery problem, because I did back off the throttle and the alarm went off. I think I fixed that when I cleaned out the fuel filter. Currently my problem seems to be when I am idling for more than 10 minutes. It is a really weird alarm that goes off and it does fit any of the alarm sounds that are described. It is like a 2-3 second beep followed by a 2-3 second pause. I can turn off the engine, restart it and it will give me 10-15 more minutes. Not quite sure what it means. I maybe better off just taking it in to get it looked at.

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I would disconnect wire harness at vro pump when sounding to see if alarm stops . if alarm stops it could be bad pump or false warning and would test pump.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0