Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
jakethebrake99

This motor will get out of the hole smoothly, and run ok to about 1/2 throttle. When I try to give it more throttle, it does not respond with any more power, but will start to miss and shake, until I back off to about 1/2 throttle and it will be smooth again. Compression check was good in all cylinders, carbs were rebuilt, plugs were replaced, seems to get good spark with the tester. Fuel pump was also replaced. Any Ideas what might be causing this problem?? (is this "slow mode") Thanks.

Quote 0 0
marinermikes

Sounds like it. Try unplugging the temp sensor on the head and see if it still does it. If not your overheating and your warning horn is bad. Do not run it long with the sensor unplugged.   Mike

Quote 0 0
jakethebrake99

Thanks for the response. I will try this next time out. There is a white and tan wire coming off the head on drivers side--I assume its the white wire I need to disconnect?? You say not to run it long like that--if the engine runs smooth at a higher RPM under load with this disconnected, then does that mean the sensor is bad, or could there be other issues? Thanks.

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello will need to disconnect tan lead and shut engine down to reset slow system when testing.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
jakethebrake99

OK, disabled sensor, and the engine ran like a champ. Strong water stream flowing, and water also spitting through the 2 holes below the motor. Took the cover off after running, and heads were not hot, or anywhere else on the motor, either. So, based on this info, what do you think?? Thanks

Quote 0 0
marinermikes

Most likely a bad sensor. You can use a heat stick to verify the engine temp. Most people don't have a heat stick around so you can do it like I do and tape a meat thermometer to the head. Sounds odd but it works. It's good to hear that there is water coming out of the two holes. That means the thero spring is getting pushed open at higher rpms

Quote 0 0