Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
mthayer

I have a 88 Johnson 40hp engine, and having problems with it. The problem is that it will run great for about 30 minutes, and then it seems like looses all power. I had a mechanic look at it here at the house and he said that the head gasket was blown. He replaced it, and then i went and ran it, ran fine for about 30 minutes and then started bogging down again. I have recently have had time to look at it, and this is all I have done to it. Cleaned carbs, replaced ignition coils, wires and spark plugs. Fired it up tonight and idled it for about 15 minutes. I sprayed some carb choke cleaner through it (B12), since it hasnt ran in about 2 years, and on the top carb it did not bog down when it was being sprayed. The bottom carb, when i sprayed it, bogged down and killed the engine. Also I ran a compression test on it, and got 75 PSI on both cylinders. Talked to one mech and he said that was fine, and talked to another he said it was too low. What should i do on these issues?

Quote 0 0
mthayer

I also wanted to ask, should I go ahead and change out the power pack on the engine? I would rather go ahead and replace the parts now, while the engine is not functioning correctly. Also on the engine is a VRO fuel oil pump, which has the oil side has been disconnected. I would prefer to change out the fuel pump also. Is there a non VRO pump available for this engine? Is 50:1 fuel/oil  ratio correct for this engine?

Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I have a premix vro conversion kit p/n 438402 cost 158.00. I would check compression gauge on different engine as usually around 125 lbs and verify if loosing spark with timing light when  hot before changing pack.

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0