Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
rhahn57

Hi All,

Hope someone can help me with a mystery. I picked up a mechanically perfect 140 with a cooked harness and ignition. Picked up a complete electrical and swapped everything out. Once I buttoned it up, I noted I had no fire on #3. Swapped the coil wire to another cylinder and the spark went right along with it so that eliminates the coil/plug wire/plug. Then I stripped back the coil wire itself where it came out of the CDI and jumpered it back to the coil. Still nothing. Figure it is not the charge coil since I do have fire on the other three. ALso, prior experience tends to make me believe it is not the CDI itself since they were generally an all or nothing proposition back when I worked on them for a paycheck. Assuming I am on the right path here, that leads me to the sensor coil. Problem here is my book only troubleshoots dual powerpack systems and this is a single with a 5-wire sensor harness. Does anyone have the proper way to check this sensor coil setup? Wires appear to be white/black/green/pink/purple.

Quote 0 0
amackhrandilal
This is from the Evinrude Manual

NO SPARK ON ONE CYLINDER:

Either a faulty power pack or ignition coil normally causes this problem. Rare cases include a weak trigger magnet in the flywheel or a timer base.

Quote 0 0
rhahn57
Thanks for the update,

That confirms my suspicion based on what I have determined so far that it is likely the timebase. Problem I have is my manual only gives the troubleshooting for the dual powerpack (4-wire timerbase) setup and mine is a single powerpack (5-wire timerbase) setup. I think I will just scrounge another timebase and do a swap out and see where that gets me in the mean time...
Quote 0 0
kevimchale

I'm not so sure about your assumption that it's not the power pack.  Having 1 fail on just 1 cylinder wouldn't surprise me. 

Quote 0 0
rhahn57

My suspicion of the sensor coil is further fueled by the fact that I just switched packs and still lack spark on the same cylinder. Could be a pack but heck of a coincidence. I have a spare sensor coil so will swap that out when I get the chance. Will post my findings...

Quote 0 0
amackhrandilal
I have on my FTP site a PDF document that explains in details how to test your engine the fool proof way. Please download much better than the manuals. Trust me you can do it. I did ..
ftp://24.110.138.108
user name is publicuser
password is evinrude
Quote 0 0
rhahn57

Turns out it was a bad winding in the sensor coil. Swapped the coil with a spare and we are back in business.

Quote 0 0