Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
fphilli1

I just put $500.00 into the subject motor at a boat dealer that is very reputable.  He replaced the water pump housing/impeller/fuel pump/lower unit lube/plugs/tune up/ re wound the start pull spring.  I put it in the water and it ran great for two days.  Then after running for about 45 miniutes it stalled and would not start.  The pull cord became very hard to pull and then got stuck in the out position.  I took it back thinking it was something with the water pump again but he said it was a twisted spring in the lower unit. He said there was nothing available to fix it.  I told him I would not put another penney in it with him and will pick it up soon.  My question to the group is does this make sense?  If not can I fix it myself.  I have never worked on an outboard and do not have a manual.  Please help.

F. Phillips
Quote 0 0
outboardwizard

Hello I would remove lower unit to see if powerhead frees up and help locate problem area

Ralph, The Outboard Wizard
Owner, Lindenhurst Outboard Service Inc. since 1979 +
Websites: "Outboard-Wizard" a few domains since 2001 - 
Ebay Store: Outboard Wizard  The Outboard Wizard - Power Seller
You Tube: See me here!
Quote 0 0
fphilli1
Thanks for the reply. I did get a parts catalog and think I know which spring it might be. I will do as you suggested and remove the lower unit and check it out.
F. Phillips
Quote 0 0
Webmaster_OBW

Follow-up:

Frank, Just wondering if you located the spring and fixed your problem?

If needed, you can order genuine Evinrude/Johnson Manuals from the Outboard Wizard too- If you're looking for a service/owner's manual, let me know and I'll see if  Ralph (Outboard Wizard) has your 1962 5 1/2 hp Johnson outboard engine manual in stock.
That was a really good year!

Gail, Assistant to OBW
Gail, Assistant, Consultant + Sister of The Outboard Wizard -
Owner of Fuel-Testers Company + MLR Solutions (Health/Science Consulting firm)
Quote 0 0
fphilli1

Thanks for the notes and tips.  I have not had a chance to work on it.  Too busy at work these days.  I will try and find a manual so I can get to it before spring.  Thanks again.

F. Phillips
Quote 0 0