Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
bperry
I just got this engine model J115TLCTE It has been sitting in a garage for a couple of years. I just bolted it on my boat and I have some questions. The tilt and trim has 2 wires not connected to anything. green and blue.I know one is down and one is up. I connected the blue one to 12 volts and nothing happened. I had the battery hooked up to the engine cables and used a jumper from the pos to the blue wire. Also on the engine cable there is a plug with a rubber cap. It has a purple. ,gray and black wire and I have no Idea what it is for. there is also the low cooling buzzer which has one terminal pulled out.One more ,there is the safety lanyard that is not on the switch and I cannot figure out how to reinstall it. I think I would prefer to eliminate it. any help will be appreciated as this project boat may not get wet this year. Well I am not so smart about safety lanyards but I figured it out. push the key in it works fine.
Quote 0 0
marinermikes
Your plug with the purple gray and black wires is the accessory plug.  Purple is hot when you turn the key on.  Gray is the tach wire and black is the ground.
The warning buzzer needs to fixed.  Is it broken or is it just unplugged.  if it's unplugged I would be very suspisous that it was unplugged because it was going off.   You need to make sure that the engine is not overheating.

It sounds as though you are on the right track with the tilt trim.
Quote 0 0
bperry
I guess no one is willing to answer questions. Thanks for all the help
Quote 0 0
taglic

The power pack on your motor is the most likely suspect. If you're handy try switching the good output of the power pack with one of the ones that isn't firing. Each coil is fed an output from the Power Pack and these are the wires you'd be swapping. Just be sure to mark your wires before moving them around.

Carl Tagliabue
Quote 0 0
bperry
thanks for the reply. I am traveling again and I will be home thursday and will try your suggestion, Again thank you for the reply. Billp
Quote 0 0
bperry
well I made it back home and spent the day working on the boat. thanks for the help I now have spark to all cylinders. Pulled both carbs and cleaned to one was perfect bottom one was all gummed up. Tried to start ad it spins well but does not fire. I checked the fuel hose and it gets fuel when the bulb is pumped but does not hold pressure. I know this hose is old and I will get a new one tomorrow.Any thing else I should check? Oh I also checked filter and its clean.
Quote 0 0
bperry
well I made it back home and spent the day working on the boat. thanks for the help I now have spark to all cylinders. Pulled both carbs and cleaned top one was perfect bottom one was all gummed up. Tried to start and it spins well but does not fire. I checked the fuel hose and it gets fuel when the bulb is pumped but does not hold pressure. I know this hose is old and I will get a new one tomorrow.Any thing else I should check? Oh I also checked filter and its clean.
Quote 0 0
taglic
If you have correctly timed spark, good equal compression and fuel delivery to each cylinder the motor should fire up. One thing that's easy to overlook is that the reed valves are operating correctly. They allow air/fuel mixture to enter the crankcase from the carburetor then seal as the piston is on it's power stroke. If leaking or if crankshaft seals are leaking motor may be hard to start or perform poorly.

Carl Tagliabue
Quote 0 0
bperry
Thanks for the reply. I will further investigate the reed valves. I know the fuel hose has a check valve that is leaking back to tank so I will replace that also.Thanks again.
Quote 0 0
bperry
well  I followed all advise and I actually got the eng running with the high idle raised up ran for several min and I pushed the high idle down and it shut down. would never hit another lick. I think I have to raise the idle a bit and will try again today.
Quote 0 0
bperry
tried again and it runs nice at idle but I turn off the ignition and it does not shut down. which wire is the kill wire and where do I look. thanks
Quote 0 0
taglic
I believe it's the Black wire with Yellow Stripe. When connected to ground it kills the power packs.

Carl Tagliabue
Quote 0 0
bperry
Got most things straightened out and now am installing a tilt and trim relay box which I purchased used. Have a wiring diagram from my CD book and have figured out all hook up except the book says hook the white /tan wire to point 14  on instrument panel but does not tell me what that point is . Any one know where that wire goes please.
Quote 0 0
bperry
got the relay installed and it works but I don't have the tilt and trim indicator hooked up yet. Rain predicted so I covered the boat till another day. Still trying to figure out the white/tan wire from the relay to where?
Quote 0 0