Visit The Outboard Wizard’s website for genuine BRP OMC Evinrude parts at 10-50% off list prices.
nakedskies
Picked up a project boat last winter with a 1989 E200TXCEA - haven't taken it out yet and I've never had a Johnson / Evinrude outboard before BUT everything I've read so far, my charging system only puts out 35amps (if it works ...) - I'd like to run some accessories for extended periods that will def draw more than 35amps

In all your years, have you ever heard or seen if anyone has added an external alternator? maybe a pulley bolted to the flywheel and a custom bracket / wiring? Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Tylerbruntzel
Thats probably 35 amps at idle I doubt you will have any problems get a good marine battery or 2 when your outboard is off you can run lights ext. Then once your battery is getting low fire it up and let it charge with your stuff on. What could you be trying to run that uses more than 35 amps most trolling motors dont use that at full power but you dont run your trolling motor at the same time as your outboard???
Please help me with my outboard i need to fish (:
Quote 0 0
Tylerbruntzel
I had a 1970 johnson 175 and ran 3 batters with trolling motor 86lb thrust and five 42inch led light bars for bow fishing and 1 spot light and 2 fish/depth finders and interior lights and a radio and never had a problem after an hour my power got low on 1 battery so i would start up the motor run it come back shut it off and continue to fish I never ran out of power.
Quote 0 0
nakedskies
I had a 1970 johnson 175 and ran 3 batters with trolling motor 86lb thrust and five 42inch led light bars for bow fishing and 1 spot light and 2 fish/depth finders and interior lights and a radio and never had a problem after an hour my power got low on 1 battery so i would start up the motor run it come back shut it off and continue to fish I never ran out of power.

I plan on using the boat for extended trips to the Bahamas and would rather not have to worry about a complicated charging scheme because my charging system is maxed out. I'd like to add hull lights, stereo system with amp(s), possibly a decent sized inverter, etc. 
Quote 0 0
Tylerbruntzel
I think your going to want more than 200hp if your going to the Bahamas and another motor incase one fails like dual 150s or 300s or 350s but I dont know of any way you can add a charging system other than solar or wind unless you found someone to build a custom alternator. The only option I know of is to run multiple batterys you can run as many as you can fit and wire in battery switches to control which battery your charging, while the motors running. 
Quote 0 0
nakedskies
Theres a spot off southern florida where on a good day, its about an hr @ 45mph - lot of ppl cross in jetskis and even 17' jetboats.

I was just curious if there were a kit already in circulation I could bolt in. Ive seen Mercury outboards have them but didnt see anything for Johnson
Quote 0 0